Grille Question

To: John Mitchell <jmitch@snet.net>
Subject: Grille Question
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 10:52:35 -0400
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h4AEt0bI027840
Message text written by John Mitchell
>Hi again,   While preparing the 6 to go to the paint stripper, I noticed
the the area around and behind the grille is painted matte black.  I
know Ive seen cars with this area painted body color and was wondering
which is correct so I can decide how it should be painted.  I plan on
taking lots of pictures before it gets stripped, but need to know what
to tell the painter.  The color now is BRG but was brown originally.
 Any insight would really be appreciated.    TIA.   John Mitchell  76 TR6
<

I seem to recall reading somewhere that this area was hand brushed flat
black.  This is not at all atypical of the British motor industry.  The
Austin Healey 3000 has some cross braces just behind the grill that was
hand brushed flat black as well.  It is strictly a cosmetic thing but it is
an effort to hide the sheet metal behind the grill.  This is more an issue
with lighter colour cars.

It just looks better.

Dave Massey
71 TR6 (white - I painted the bits behind the grill black and it looks
better.)