Shift boot follow up/ installing carpet?

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Shift boot follow up/ installing carpet?
From: ebk@buffnet.net
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 22:38:37 -0400
Hi List!
    Well I told you that I wouldn't have time to work on why the Shift
Boot was popping out of the Tranny Cover until this week. Thanks again
to all that responded to my question.
     Now for the follow up. One person suggested that the Tranny Cover
wasn't pushed up far enough. Well, I checked it & the carpeting was
moved away for the cover to butt up against the Bulkhead. That might
have help, but I did a little of everyone's suggestions to have it work
out. Another person stated that on his TR3, he used one screw into the
back of the Shift Boot & holding it onto the metal tranny cover. On my
TR4/A I didn't feel that I had enough rubber to have a sheet metal screw
hold the Outer Boot to my Tranny Cover. So I used duct tape to hold the
back of the Outer Shift Boot in place in the back where it was popping
out. In order to do this, I did NOT install the Inner Shift Boot so I
could tape the underside as well as the cockpit side. THIS I think was
the key to my problem. In the past, I installed the Inner Shifter Boot
to the Outer Shifter Boot & then attempted to install Both boots on to
the shifter lever & Tranny Cover With LITTLE success. :-( By installing
the Outer Shifter Boot first, duct tape, & THEN installing the Inner
Shifter Boot, It worked out right. Thank you people for not mentioning
[as I had suggested, if I should cut away the front part of the Tranny
Cover], this because I see now that it really would have made matters
worst. Again thanks to all that answered my thread last week.
    I know this sounds stupid, but when I removed the interior last yr.,
I 'thought' that I wrote down all the steps that I did Before removing
the old engine/tranny. Therefore, All I would have to do is follow the
steps in reverse [sounds familiar? ;-) ]. Well its been working all the
way up to this point. I forgot to write down removing the carpet :-[ .
So my question is:
    When do I install the carpet? BEFORE  I install the Center Support
OR do I install the carpet AFTER I install the Center Support?         I
know this seems like command sense, but I think lack of sleep is
starting to kick in. 'Clouding' my thought process. [I've driven over
1,000 miles this weekend, came home to be sick with chills & etc., &
I've only had about 15 hr. sleep  from Sat. 6 AM to now.] So while you
list members [that own TR4\TR4/A's] are answering my stupid question,
I'll be passed out for the next 7 hr. TIA & Good Night,
-Cosmo Kramer