Re: TRF gas tank problem.

To: "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net>, "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TRF gas tank problem.
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 10:07:06 -0700
> I thought I would report a problem I have encountered with a TRF gas
> tank.  Maybe someone here has a better fix than TRF suggested.
>
> I purchased a new tank for a pre 60,000 TR3A from TRF a couple of months
> ago.  Preparing to install it yesterday I noticed a problem.  The bung
> that the banjo fitting for the tank vent is not correct.  The original
> tank had a 1" diameter bung with a flat mating surface.  The new tank
> has a .75" bung that is bevelled downward into the bolt hole.  The
> design on the new tank leaves only a thin edge for the banjo fitting to
> seat against.
>
> Discussions with TRF this morning resulted in a recomendation to use a
> plumbing grade rubber washer to seal the banjo fitting to the bung.
>
> Has anyone on this list delt with this problem before?  Anyone have any
> other ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Hi Tom,

I got a new tank for my TR3A from:
JORGE CERVERA
1090N 3RD AVE SUITE 1 # 33
CHULA VISTA, CA. 91911
(562) 867-0576

I found him on eBay thanks to a tip from someone on this list, but ended up
buying from him directly.  I paid less than TRF, and got it quicker as TRF
couldn't promise me anything. Quality seemed excellant,  he said it was18
gauge steel (I didn't measure it), and, although I did struggle a bit, it
did end up fitting well.  He makes tanks for a number of Triumphs and a lot
of chrome parts, mostly for Jags, in his factory in Mexico.

Bob