cuban/south american cars

To: "Triumphs" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: cuban/south american cars
From: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 12:04:17 -0400
Cc: "spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Some years back I spent a week in Central America where to my surprise I saw
many older U/S cars on the road and no rust anywhere to be seen, while in a
taxi I inquired as to how in such a tropical wet climate their cars did not
rust and the driver stopped on the roadside and raised the hood/bonnet, the
entire car was coated with a mixture of oil & sand, they mix it up then just
apply it to the entire underbody of the car, no rust will form on oil, I
looked at many 40 year old Model A Fords and zero rust to be found.
Interesting I thought.  "FT"