"Lucas" moment

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com
Subject: "Lucas" moment
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 11:35:39 -0400
I've never been one to play along with all the Lucas jokes over the years, as
I've generally had very good luck with Lucas components as fitted to so many
LBCs. (Of course, you probably DON'T want to get me started on the electrical
systems used by certain Swedish automakers in the early and mid-1970s! :-) )

But this morning I began to wonder. On the way to work, on a nice sweeping
downhill left-hand bend, one of the horns suddenly began to sound on the
Herald. I thought it particularly odd in that the horns had not worked all that
well of late, and I just hadn't had time to deal with that. I have no
complaints about 41-year-old horns being quirky; the horns on my old 1985
Subaru didn't make 10 years.)

Anyway, the sound went away after a second or two...and then it happened again
about two miles further down the road. This time I figured I'd better see what
was amiss. Turns out that one horn had broken off the sheet metal mounting
point and was hanging precariously by its little Lucar connectors, which
occasionally made contact with the chassis -- completing the circuit and
sounding off about it!

That horn is now on the floor behind the driver's seat and will be rehung in
due course. Meanwhile, all again is quiet....

:-)

--Andy Mace