TR2/3/4 seats

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR2/3/4 seats
From: "David Gunn" <ccgunn1010@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 10:51:42 -0700 FILETIME=[FCCC59E0:01C3132E]
I have what I thought were 2 sets of TR2/3/4 seats.  I had understood that
the seats were the same throughout the series, the only differences being
the upholstery and the folding passenger seat (non-folding in the TR2's, pre
#8637).

My 2 sets each have 1 solid back seat and 1 folding back seat.  I was hoping
to use the two solid back seats in my TR2.

After stripping all of the upholstery and padding off, I have discovered
that I now have 3 different seat back styles - all of the pans appear to be
the same.  One set (both solid and folding back) has a lyre shapped back.
One seat(solid back)has straight sides, about the same width as the
narrowest part of the lyre shapped back, and the remaining seat (folding
back) has straight sides, about the same width as the widest part of the
lyre shapped back.

I read all 3 of my Piggott books and the restoration book by Roger Wiliams,
and looked at the "big 3" catalogs, and can find no mention of a difference
in seat backs.

In looking at the parts catalog, it appears that there were differences at
#8637 and #22014.  I assume that the differnce at #8637 is the folding
passender seat.  Is the difference at #22014 the change in seat back style?
If so, which one?  The narrow or wide straight sided back.  Is there a
difference in width between the driver and passenger seat backs in the later
style?  Do I really have 2 complete sets, or one complete set, and two
mismatched seats?

Since I ordered seat upholstery kits for a TR2, I'm assuming that they will
be made for the correct TR2 seats - but which one is correct?

Assuming that the lyre shapped backs are correct, has anyone successfully
welded a folding back seat into a rigid back seat?

My, my, - what one finds when dismantling and trying to fix a car that has
been "reworked" by a DPO!

Thanks for your help.

David Gunn
TS3388L (should be 2 solid seats)