Now what's going on in Somerset? (UK only query)

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Now what's going on in Somerset? (UK only query)
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 00:09:18 +0100
Is it the cider drinking championships at Faringdon Gurney or cheese-rolling
at Cheddar, me deeurs? The M5 looked *almost over-run* with Triumphs today!
There was I, lumbering along in the company's gutless turbodiesel Zafira with
a trailer on the towball and a Spitfire goes flashing past. Clouds of spray,
wipers flapping - and then a GT6 Mk 2 making exciting noises about a minute
later. Another brief wait and a 2000 with another Spitfire almost under his
rear bumper, flashing his lights and putting Old Joe severely to the test.
Then a TR4 strutted past in aimiable mood. Ten minutes later and bringing up
the rear was a 2.5PI going like the hammers of hell with a TR6PI emulating the
Spitfire and 2000.
It was all too much of a shock and I adjourned to that oasis of culinary
delights called Sedgemoor Services for a much-needed cup of tea and a doughnut
(outrageous prices!) and set off again.
Bless my soul, what should I see but the whole contingent going past me in the
opposite direction! Had they done a flip-flop at Bristol Gordano? Who knows -
but what a great sight. Seven Triumphs being driven really hard, more than
keeping up with modern traffic and in the pouring rain as well.
Seemed an eternity before I got back to base and was able to jump in my own PI
and drive home in much the same style. A great end to a boring week -
especially with the pedal hard down in overdrive third and overtaking truck
after car after caravan - and down the wrong side of the road as well.

Jonmac