Flickering voltmeter

To: "William Scherer" <scherer_william@hotmail.com>
Subject: Flickering voltmeter
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 08:50:12 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <Triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h42CpbNI011947
Message text written by "William Scherer"
>  Yesterday evening my voltmeter sudenly started flickering rapidly, never

got above 12 volts.  Is this a bad regulator, generator brushes, or what
else should I look at?
<

Check the connections to the volt meter.

Seriously, what do the lights do when all this is going on?  If all else
seams normal, it could be a defective voltmeter or the wires to it.

You didn't list what car you have but if you have a voltmeter I suspect you
have a late model TR6 or Spit.  If so there is a multi-tap on the hot
battery cable with three wires plugged into that and one of these may be
getting intermittent.  (I've seen that happen a couple of times)

Good luck

Dave
57 TR3
71 TR6