BRAIN FART! 1 hour idle no burp - Long message

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <SPIT6CGT6@yahoogroups.com>, <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: BRAIN FART! 1 hour idle no burp - Long message
From: "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 22:31:32 -0400
TWO PARTS...

---- #1 -----
Well after reading all the responses.... preparing
to pull the head, I paused... . I decide to test a few more
things first.

I  injected 160psi into each cyl (if you do this remember
to block the wheels with the tranny in gear! ...ask my
left foot why) Yes... 160 psi is enough to push the piston down
and move the car rather abruptly!

No air sounds out of the radiator on any cyl. test.  So I refilled
the radiator. Tried it again. No bubbles.  Then I fired it
up and let it sit there idling with the radiator cap off.
After it warmed up, I could tell the thermostat opened
because the radiator level started dropping a bit
abruptly. I added about a pint, and put the cap back on.

I let it sit there in the driveway idling for nearly an hour.
No burp..no eruption. HHmm... I did... test the temp
sensor before refilling the rad just to make sure the
gauge was correct.  And it is.  But even after idling for
an hour, the temp just barley got up to N (same as when
driving and when it burped this afternoon)

So I went into the kitchen and 'permanently' barrowed
a cooking thermometer to check temps around the head.
Jammed down behind the edge of the water pump to head
seam, it read around 1600 Sticking it tight in against the #5
sparkplug/head... around 1650.  Stuck it through the radiator
fins...1450
So tomarrow I'll take it out again anmd we'll see what happens.

---- #2 -----
I'm wondering about the timing now.  This GT6's
harmonic balancer has degree markings (numerical) all the way
around the  pulley. (Anyone ever seen that?)   Vac advance
is tapped off the bottom of the rear carb. Idle timing is set
at 120 BTDC at around 850-900 rpm.  But the vacuum in the
intake seems a bit low (wavers around 15 in/Hg rather than 21.
If I advance the timing I can bring the vac up to around 20 with no
effort. But the timing light now says 240BTDC and the output
from the exhaust feels more like a fan than an engine exhaust.
Back at 120BTDC I at least hear/feel the puff puff per puff puff
of the  engine cyls firing.   .... ahhh... forget this .... I'll study this
one
later.

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com