Brake bleeding concerns

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake bleeding concerns
From: Dave Rupert <Dave_Rupert@codl.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 09:22:10 -0400
Listers,

I finally managed to reassemble my calipers for the TR4A last night with all
new pistons and seals.  Yes, even the dreaded dust seals are in place,
although it took a lot of swearing and throwing things.  One thing struck me
about the design as I was putting them back together.  Since both the pipe
inlet and the bleed screw are on the same side of the caliper, it seems that
getting fluid into the other side of the caliper could be chancy at best.  I
had started by trying to pour some fluid into the outside caliper section
before reassembly, but halfway through the process I poured the fluid back
out in an effort to get the pistons/dust seals in.  Is there any special
considerations to take into account when bleeding the front calipers to make
sure they completely fill, or am I worrying about nothing?  I'm going with
hideously expensive silicone fluid this time around, so I'd rather get it
right the first time.  Also, what are the opinions of the various brake
bleeding aids out there?  I'm looking at purchasing either a mytivac or an
eezybleed so that the wife doesn't have to pump the brake pedal for hours
and hours, and I'm wondering which to go with.

TIA,

Dave Rupert
1967 TR4A (getting closer...)
1957 TR3