TR250 trim..doors,rocker panels,beading

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: TR250 trim..doors,rocker panels,beading
From: LaJoMor@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:57:44 EDT
Message sent previously to Don M off-list...

Don...
Out of curiosity I have persued some information on stainless steel when a
question came up awhile back on the trim found on the rocker panels on 250s.

I found a great website on Specialty Steel Industry of North America (SSINA)
which had the following info that might answer your questions...

<Ferritic
Magnetic stainless steels that have a low carbon content and contain chromium

as the main alloying element, usually between 13% and 17%. It is the second
most widely used stainless steel. Ferretic stainless steels are generally
used
in automotive trim and exhaust systems, hot water tanks, and interior
architectural trim.>

So, from this and some other info on their site, the door and rocker trim is
mostly likely this 'ferritic' stainless. It IS magnetic and it most likely is
NOT chrome plated. I don't think, from what I can infer from reading that
stainless steel is ever used to plate anything. It is an alloy in itself.
Unlike chromium and nickel it is never found in a 'liquid' state. Molten yes,
liquid, no. I am a little over my head in metallurgy but the site is loaded
with info.

I believe the fender 'beading' is of the same material and on 250s it was
painted body color.

I am going to polish my trim with some fine wet-or-dri sandpaper
(800-1500-2000) then buff it until I get desired finish. I don't think the
bare metal trim was ever as shiny as the chrome bumpers, and the fender
'beading' was probably roughed (or chemically etched) a bit so the
primer/paint would stick.

Check out the site.... <A HREF="http://www.ssina.com/";>SSINA</A>

Hope this is of some help...
Larry M