Re: Fast Tranny pull... rebuilt!

To: "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <SPIT6CGT6@yahoogroups.com>, <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>, <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: Fast Tranny pull... rebuilt!
From: Irv Korey <emanteno@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 22:22:19 -0500
At 06:48 PM 4/15/03 -0400, ptegler@cablespeed wrote:

>So...if it's not synchros, what would make second
>so notchy?  No it's not the oil.

In my gearbox, it was a worn 2nd gear. It wasn't readily noticeable to the
naked eye. However, once a straight edge was laid across the side of the
gear, you could see that the gear had worn to the point that it was no
longer squarely perpendicular to the mainshaft. The gear was leaning on the
shim and crushed it, making it nearly impossible to get the box into 2nd
without a considerable crunch. I found most of the shim clinging to the
magnetic drain plug.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
63 TR4 VSCDA Group 2 # 58 now with a new 2nd gear
Highland Park, IL