Re: Ebay/parts

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, <sdkandlsk1@juno.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ebay/parts
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 23:47:11 -0600
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
> > Someone said that there isn't much traffic on the autojumble
> > list.  How many of you are on it?
>
> I am.

Me, too.

> >  What do you suggest to someone
> > (me) who needs something?  Is a "wanted" post not acceptable?
>
> I have no problems with a "wanted" post (and responses off-line), as long
as
> it's within reason.  Ten posts a day for a week is not reasonable ...

A wanted post for Triumph parts on a Triumph list is perfectly appropriate.

> > Sounds to me like it would fall on deaf ears on the jumble list.
>
> Well, lack of posts doesn't necessarily mean lack of subscribers ...

True, but sometimes you need to target your audience.

Dragging out my soapbox again:  Please make your subject line tell a story.

"Wanted"  is a stupid subject line.

"Wanted TR6 engine parts in Utah" is a smart subject line.

> > That's the hooker about Ebay.  What you are looking for will
> > eventually show up.  And with Ebay operating on Murphy's
> > Corollaries, when the part you are waiting for does show up,
> > there is always someone willing to bid more than you
> > will (I agree with Joe on this one).
>
> Not only that, but they wait until the last possible second to outbid you,
> so you can't return the favor.

Proxy bidding.  You have to be willing to bid up on your first bid.  I bid
on a steering wheel and realized afterwards I should have bid higher.  The
next bid was "at the bell" and I lost it.  I'll know better next time.  Give
it your top bid somewhat near the bell and hope for the best.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com