Re: Stuffing the garage

To: "Edward Woods" <fogbro1@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: Stuffing the garage
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 14:56:34 -0500
Cc: "TR List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Dave Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id gBTJx6cq019386
Message text written by "Edward Woods"
>Dave and all,

So if a car must remain outside for the winter, what's the best way to
preserve it?

Ed Woods
<

Move to Arizona.

Seriously, the important things are to keep the sun off (UV aging, et all)
and water.  Sun is no problem since it doesn't leak into the car and ruin
the carpet.  Water is another issue.  I used a Technalon II cover for a
couple of years and it worked pretty good but it did get soaked when it
rained.  Even with a good treatment of Scotch Guard (R) water repellant.
But at least it will breath and the water will evaporate.

A tarp is not a good idea if you throw it over the car and weight it down
with rocks and such because it will capture whatever water did make it in
and things will stay wet.  If you can build a canopy (perhaps a PVC
framework with a tarp attached) that will shed the rain but allow air to
freely pass you will have a pretty good shelter.  That, and a Technalon II
cover to keep the dust and leaves away is probably not bad at all.
However, I doubt my local authorities would allow such a thing in my
neighborhood.  So it's into the garage.

Cheers

Dave