Re: TR6 differential off centre?

To: Rikrock@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 differential off centre?
From: "bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net" <bschwart@postoffice.pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:48:35 -0500 FILETIME=[C2A72B90:01C2A5E3] 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id gBHFmQLu012136
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>The drawing in my Bentley TR250/TR6 manual clearly shows the diff
>positioned
>such that the driveshaft is angled with respect to the centerline of the
>car.
> I don't quite understand why they did it this way.
*********************************
Actually if you stop to think about it a little, its quite clear why this
is done.  There is nothing mounted off center per say.  The pinion gear
by its operating nature is offset in the differential in every differential
of this type.  The diff IS mounted centrally in the car so that the axles
are the same length (cheaper to use the same part) and since the diff is
centered with respect to the frame, then the centerline of the pinion is
offset.  The driveshaft has u-joints to allow just this type of angular
offset and in fact will work better and last longer with a slight offset
since the bearings inside the cups actually roll around instead of being
static as they would if aligned perfectly.  So you see its perfectly
logical to allow the angular placement of the driveshaft  straightening
it out would accomplish nothing except to cost more, and have the joints
wear out faster