Alternate GT6 trannys

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Alternate GT6 trannys
From: Scott D Kohl <sdkandlsk1@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 20:15:37 -0800
Hi, all.

I don't think I've ever seen so much traffic about this subject in such a
short period of time.  Anyway, here's a few observations:  I know of a
fellow in England who saw a Celica 5-speed fitted to a Herald in
Australia, and did it himself, if I remember correctly.  Not the Supra
box, it's too big.  As for the NZ conversion, IMHO the cost doesn't
justify the benefits.  I don't consider a .86 fifth gear as all that
usable.  In a past issue or the Courier magazine, there was a letter by
someone who had a 2.9 diff made up for his Spit 6, and fitted it with O/D
(4th-O/D ratio of 2.32).  He was turning 2300 at 70 in O/D top.  At a
local track, he reported turning 4000 rpm down the straight (approx 121
mph).  The point is that the 6 certainly has the torque to handle a
considerably taller overdrive ratio than any of the alternatives (or the
factory O/D).  Now, if Toyota were kind enough to supply a .65:1 ratio
5th gear set for the 2T box...for the Corolla, with it's little 3TC?
Even the Rover box is only .83:1.   There doesn't seem to be a compact
'box with the nice tall fifth, which is the point of all this trouble and
expense.  Anyone know who can cut gears cheap?

Scott Kohl
'67 2000 Saloon
'69 GT6+
'70 GT6+
'73 Citroen SM
'86 Cressida auto (wife's)
'87 Cressida 5-speed (W58 close-ratio tall-fifth Supra 'box, my
ride--whooosh!)