Progress... A few paragraphs...

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Progress... A few paragraphs...
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 11:51:12 -0400
I thought I'd pass along a progress report on my now daily driveable 1964
Herald 1200-12/50...

Went last night and checked spark plug condition, compression and valve
clearance, having run the better part of 1,000 miles(Probably the high 700's)
and was wondering.

The plugs(now that I'm using Champion 327/RL87YC instead of the super fouling
Bosch Platinums...) are of a normal condition, no build ups, no real issues. I
am quite happy with their color. Most had held their gap pretty closely, and I
had to re-gap two of them very slightly.(Seemed to be just a little over .025-
I might have erred when I gapped originally.)

The valve clearance seemed ok, but most were .010 to .012. I had adjusted them
a little while ago to .010, so I guess everything is still working in. Last
time I'd checked, they had all been a bit tight- this time, they were around
right, and just a hair loose. I corrected them, and decided to let the matter
pass for the moment.(Anybody make adjustment free hydraulic lifters for
Herald/Spitfire engines?)

Compression Check. Oh boy. 110- 115psi on all four cylinders. I can find no
reference to specific psi. per cylinder in the manual(Triumph factory one)
however, it sounds about right, and the difference between cylinders is where
it should be.

Having done those checks, I went ahead with addressing a few issues I was
concerned with. The Spitfire accelerator pedal I had installed(came with the
car from a PO) was really not up to standard- it was a literal pain to work
with. I had to keep my foot in a rigid toes-high attitude whenever using it, as
it was a good distance above the floor- about 6 or 8 inches- I was usually just
hitting it with the top of my shoe. There was no way to rest the foot and
drive. So in went a factory Herald/Vitesse pedal(after I built a new, longer
cable for it) It seems to be just right- I'll be test running it today, after
the rains pass.

I also put the "Rob-Smithy" into operation last night for a needed tool item.
With the help of my trusty propane torch, a good ball peen hammer, a good
striking surface, a bucket of water and a 3/8" smooth rod, I built a fair
approximation of the handle for the lug/spark plug wrench. I based it on the
pics in my owner's manual. Looks fairly convincing. Took about two hours, and
one reshape, due to a misconception of a picture. But now all looks great-
considering it was done by hand and hammer.

Well, gonna run now to shower and get dressed to drive this fine autumn day. NJ
is allowing cars to be washed again, and I can think of three which might enjoy
it, not the least being the Herald...

Scott
1964 Herald 1200-12/50