Keepn' My Cool !!! - A Summary of replys

To: "Triumphs Email List (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Keepn' My Cool !!! - A Summary of replys
From: john & patricia donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 09:40:39 -0700 teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g9Q4eiPD007107
After sending this out I received about 25-30 replys, some infomational, some
questionable, some with sick humor. But, here's a consensus of what to do to
keep your car cool.

 > So, what's the best way to keep my cool?

 > Is it Prestone in mega doses?  Phosphate or non?  1/2 or more?
Yes, use a coolant of some type. Best mix is the 50/50 variety. Don't use too
much. More is not better. There was lots of debate on the whys and wherefors,
but everyone seemed to agree to use some.

> Is Redline's "Wetter" any good?
The consensus was that there was no consensus. Lot's of hearsay, but no real
knowledge of it actually working for them (maybe they didn't want to admit that
they actually bought some).

> Should I look into a new radiator?
Definitely a "no" here. A proper boiling out maybe, but let an expert decide
that for you.

> How about the yellow eight blade fan?  Charles had some on sale at
>Triumphest, is it worth it?
Most said "yes", but many were concerned about fitment. There was a TR3 owner
at Triumphest who sold an extension mod kit that allowed the eight blade fan's
use. I didn't get his name.

> Is the radiator duct really needed? Which one is best? (The cardboard ones
>seem to fold at slightest moisture).
Another definite "yes" here. One gentlemen spray-coated his with a plastic
spray in order to beter protect it from the weather. Another lister may be
going into the fabrication business of aluminum shrouds (I saw a few at
Triumphest ... looked pretty snazzy!). Almost everyone believed it was only
good at speeds, not idle.

> Should I install some sort of port to help the "backflush"? Where? What
>pressure is needed to backflush?
Everyone seemed more concerned with getting rid of any crud in the engine. One
lister used a coat hanger to probe through the block using the water drain on
the side of the block,  and claimed this as the miracle cure.  Everyone was
concerned about the heater core taking the pressure of a backflush.  Nobody
offered a method of how, or a pressure restriction,  just that tap pressure was
too much.

I forgot to ask if the use of a "radiator flush" worked  prior to doing a
backflush in order to dissolve the"crud". I'd be interested in hearing
recommendations of a product.

> So many questions..... I'm (still) confused.........Give me (more) wisdom.

Well, I hope this summary helps. I'll be trying these suggestions over the next
few months and will followup later. Now, where's my coat hanger?
John in San Diego