Fuel Sending Unit Float Repair

To: <hfader@usa.net>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel Sending Unit Float Repair
From: "Bill Brewer" <bbrewer@qnet.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 06:47:33 -0700
     I installed a repro gas tank sending unit in my TR3 and the float
leaked and filled up with fuel eventually. The Moss sending unit float was
made of translucent plastic. I found the leak and used a soldering iron to
fuse the leak. About three months later it failed again. I went down to the
local Carquest auto parts store and they sold new brass floats that were a
perfect match for $7.
     BTW, for the sealing gasket at the top of the gas tank where the
sending unit bolts on I had been using the neoprene ones from Moss, but
could never get a good seal. When I filled the tank and went around a corner
fast, some fuel would slosh through. I replaced the gasket with one from TRF
that was cork and rubber and all problems associated with this went away.
     This thread sounds like a beat-up session on Moss, but it is not. Moss
has done me right over the years. So has TRF, for the most part. I am glad
that these guys are out there to keep us rolling.

     Bill Brewer
     Tehachapi, CA