Fuel Sending Unit Float Repair

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel Sending Unit Float Repair
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:25:21 -0400
I found this tip for float repair searching around the web. Any comments?

If your fuel gauge never reads above empty, the most common cause is that
the sending unit float has cracked and filled with fuel. Before spending $50
for a replacement of the entire unit (I haven't found the float sold
separately) try this. Empty the float of all gasoline, then wash and dry it
thoroughly. Tie a piece of 6-12# monofilament (fishing line) around the
float. Dip the float in a can of liquid plastic tool handle coating (found
at any hardware store). Hang from the fishing line and allow to dry
overnight. Cut off the fishing line and reinstall. I've had mine installed
for 3 years now. Caution: Make sure the tank is almost empty before removing
the sending unit or you'll get covered in petrol and be careful of creating
sparks around the tank!