Unique Clutch Question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Unique Clutch Question
From: "Eduard Tieseler" <etiesele@metrolist.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:52:30 -0700
Hello list,

I have a question for you all.  I am putting together my Herald, with a
Spitfire engine.  In doing so I also changed the pressure plate from the old
spring style to the diaphragm style.  Here is were it gets interesting.  The
new pressure plate is shorter that the old style, so my TO bearing does not
extend far enough to make contact with the pressure plate.  I took some
measurements and discovered that when fully relaxed, the TO is 2.68" away
from the outside of the tranny (I put a straight edge across the outside of
the tranny, and measured to the outer most portion of the TO, where it
contacts the pressure plate)  When extended it is 2.55' away.  The new
pressure plate has a height of 2.76" from the engine block to the edge of
the pressure plate.  The fingers are .5" recessed, leaving where I want the
TO to be at 2.26".  Doing some simple math, I need to have the piece that
the TO rides on fabricated to extend the TO .4", this leaves me with .02"
slag from the fully relaxed point to contacting the pressure plate.  Is this
too little, too much, or just right?

Thanks,

Eduard Tieseler