Re: Do SU H6's wear out (TR3)?

To: daveg@online.no, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Do SU H6's wear out (TR3)?
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 12:38:38 +0000 FILETIME=[9F363A80:01C2737E]
>Listers,
>I've gone through the archive but it couldn't solve my problem. The lads at
>the workshop here say that my carbs are shot, leaking air through the
>throttle valve, usual story, recommend new ones. I tell them that you can
>rebush, get total refurbishing kits etc. They say - yes, we know all that,
>you can do all that, but these carbs are 45 years old and worn out, if I
>buy new I'll see a big difference compared with rebuilt, they'll be stable
>for years without any adjustment whatsoever.
>
>So - question. Any opinions? Do you agree with them? Is a totally rebuilt
>unit of the kind offered by Apple Hydraulics (
>http://www.applehydraulics.com/carbs.htm), TRF and others more or less as
>good as a new unit, or do you eventually have to fork out for new ones?
>
>Many thanks for any suggestions,
>Dave
>
>PS is an H6 an H6 regardless of car. That is will an H6 from a Volvo, Rover
>or similar be identical to the unit found on the TR3?

   I'm surprised... I don't know what other opinions you got but worn
   throttle shafts can be replaced the holes in the carb body can be
   reamed out and brass bushings can be inserted... I would think the
   cost of doing the above and rebuilding the carbs with new gaskets
   seals & etc. would still come in way below the cost of replacement
   carbs. It did for me whe I did mine about 7 years ago. I had the
   carb bodys reamed at a local machine shop and rebuilt them myself.
   NBD...

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)