RE: confused by BMIHT certificate

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: confused by BMIHT certificate
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 14:55:54 -0700
> One thing I'm wondering is if the Heritage Certificate is correct
> in listing
> that engine # for my car, or is that engine # there because I entered it
> on the application form?

Bill, I haven't seen any other replies to this, so here's my $.002.  The
folks at BMIHT do look up the record and give you the information from the
car they found.  The only reason they ask for all 3 numbers is to give them
a better chance of finding the right car.

> I suppose it's possible that a 74 car could have been built with
> a 75 engine,
> or that the Moss catalog is incorrect.

I've heard that it wasn't terribly unusual for a car to get held up for some
months, while some defect was corrected or whatever, and then finish being
assembled.  Might be that's what happened here.  In spite of what the Moss
catalog says, there was never a particularly fixed relationship between
engine numbers and commission numbers.

> (One more strange thing is that on the certificate the engine # has an
> "he" suffix, even the the engine block has "UE", and that's what I
> entered.)

The "U" is almost certainly a mis-strike or mis-read, as I don't believe
it's a normal suffix.  "H" is a normal suffix, meaning high compression.
And "E" of course just means engine.  I'd say this is further proof that
they gave you the number from the build record, and didn't just parrot back
the number you gave.

Randall