Re: TR3 Bypass Plug modification

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>, "TRlist" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 Bypass Plug modification
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 01:01:20 -0500
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>

> Now, with the overheating solved (recored radiator), I don't overheat with
> the bypass open, even running at 80mph+ in 105+ heat.  I do use an
electric
> fan, but only at speeds below 30 mph (unless I forget to turn it off).

Since I NEVER have any trouble at any ambient temperature if the car is
going at least 30 MPH, an electric fan may be the thing.  Or just a TR6
plastic fan.

> On my previous TR3A, I ran an entire summer with no fan at all (and the
> bypass open), by just shutting the engine off when I was stopped.

Pretty much what I have been doing at the local pre-1965-car events.
Getting tired of the jokes, though.

The Europa does not seem to give me overheat problems anymore.  No idea why.
It has the same electric fan I have had all along.  I do make a pre-emptive
strike with the override switch now and again.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com