Re: Tips on removing undercoating and not the paint?

To: Dave Willner <dwillner@icontech.com>
Subject: Re: Tips on removing undercoating and not the paint?
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 17:38:01 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Dave Willner wrote:

> I'm starting to detail under the bonnet on the Spitfire and there's a lot of
> undercoating overspray from the factory, so it's nice and hard. I know there
> were threads recently about how to safely remove the stuff.  I don't want to
> remove the paint, just the black crap. TIA (sorry about the redundancy..)
>
> Dave Willner
> 59 TR3A Apple Green
> 80 Spitfire
> 70 BSA 441 Victor Special

Dave,
Go to a store that sells auto paint supplies and ask for a cleaner that
is used to remove grease and wax prior to painting.  PPG calls it
Acryli-Clean, NAPA stores call it Final Wash.  THere are other brands
and names but it is virtually all the same.  It will dissolve tar,
grease, undercoating and wax without harming the paint.  It is a bit
expensive but well worth it and certainly better than the alternative.

Joe