Re: Torque Hell

To: vidaurre@rocketmail.com, triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net, hillman@can-inc.com
Subject: Re: Torque Hell
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 20:11:57 +0000 FILETIME=[1F102E30:01C26FD0]
>Hello to all LBC lovers,
>
>I have got a beautiful, borrowed Snap-On (NFI) torque
>wrench in my hands and want to torque the axle nuts up
>against the steering arms and vertical links of
>Winston, my 1970 Triumph Herald 13/60.
>
>QUESTION:
>Do I torque up the nuts...
>
>A)  ...with the threads dry and no oil?

     Yes. I'm assuming you mean the front suspension hardware. If so
          try to use new hardware, (bolts, nyloc nuts or lock washers)
          that would be the best. The bolts for the front suspension
          are specific sizes so getting the "right bolt" at your local
          hardware store might be problematic. Use minimum "automotive
          grade" steel (I think that's grade 5) for anything that needs
          replacing. I use racing grade bolts, etc. Maybe unnecessary
          overkill on my part, but I've had no problems with them... It
          also allows me to order just the "right" number of and
          closer to the proper length of bolts than I can get at my
          local chain hardware store. And... I don't have to buy in
          lots of 100 stuff I only need 2 of like I have to at the
          local "Fastenall" or its clone.

>C)  ...with a copper based anti-seize compound?

        Most of that stuff get so covered with grease and dirt I'm not
        sure rust is an issue. When I took my suspension apart after
        being on the car for 28 years there was no rust... just a LOT
        of crud.

>D)  ...with crazy glue?

        If you use new nylocs or lock washers they shouldn't come
        adrift... Besides you might want to get the assembly apart at
        some future date.

   `Just my opinion

     Greg

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)