TR-4 Steering Boots

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-4 Steering Boots
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 12:13:36 -0700 (PDT)
Hey guys,

Last week I went to change the steering rack boot on the drivers side of the
car and it turned out to be a real PITA.

Maybe Im deflicted or something . . .but I wrestled with that thing for the
better part of an hour trying to get it on.

Now Ive got to do the other side ASAP.

Anyone got any BTDT tips to share?
(Thats the last acronym in this message I swear)

Is it better to have them lubed up, or dry?
I resorted to several tiny screw drivers as instruments to flip the lip up over
the rim of the outer rack housing without letting another portion slip off.

Ive also learned the hard way that if you are going to mess with the toe in /
toe out . .or try and center your steering wheel . .. you need to make sure you
dont twist the boots to pieces in the process.

I also hope to find out what the scraping sound is coming from that side when I
turn.
Im about 90% sure that it is something scraping the brake rotor dust shield.
(They have a very distinctive sound)
I just dont know why.

Any hints there would be appreciated too.

Thanks!

Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 everyday
Leesburg, VA