RE: TR3a heater motor

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3a heater motor
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 09:55:32 -0700
> Need some help or advice.  I have no idea how to
> clean/rebuild the little motor for the heater in my TR3,
> I've restored the outside but she doesn't turn or turn
> easily when power is supplied.  Can anyone recommend how
> to repair this motor or where I can send it to be
> repaired??  Thanks all

Bill, the motor comes apart fairly easily, hardest part is getting the fan
blades off !  Undo the two tiny screws on the bottom of the motor (nearest
the fan blades) and work the cover off.  Mark the relationship between the
top plate and the frame of the motor. (Although the screw holes are
asymmetric, it can only be assembled one way, it's easier with a mark.)
Also make a diagram of how the wires are hooked up internally, as you'll
probably need to undo some of them later.  Now undo the 6 screws that hold
the top plate in place.  Lift the top plate up, and see if you can move it
away far enough to remove the armature.  On the motors I've had apart, I've
always had to unsolder a few of the wires to get it out.

Clean and lubricate as necessary.  Make sure the shaft is smooth and shiny
where it rides in the bushings.  It's probably a good idea to coat the
bushings with oil and let them set, repeating the oil application over a few
days so it gets a chance to soak in.  Use crocus cloth to clean up the
commutator, then wipe it down with a rag moistened with solvent to remove
any remaining dust or abrasive.  If it needs to be undercut, you can do a
fair job by hand with an X-acto knife.  Examine the armature for any place
it has been rubbing, and take appropriate measures.

This was never a very potent motor, but it's power output (and consumption)
can be increased by rewinding the armature with fewer turns of heavier wire.
Just like we did with slot cars back in the 60s !

Reassembly is, as they say, the reverse <g>

I tried once making a substitution with a Dodge blower motor, but I was
never happy with the result.  It was somewhat larger in diameter, which
seemed to impede the air flow more than the increased motor speed improved
it.  The fan spun plenty fast, but didn't appear to blow any more air.  If I
wanted a stock looking heater today, I'd go for rewinding an original motor
again.  However, I think it was Bob Schaller that mentioned a Spitfire
heater box will fit nicely, that's what I plan to try next.

Randall