what's it for?

To: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Subject: what's it for?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 15:40:57 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net '" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Mark Hooper
>All this talk about after-market oil filter ports has me wondering what
the
>hold in the floor of my TR6 is for. You know the one thats about 2 1/2
>inches across just in front of the seats, and sealed with a rubber bung. I
>mean it must have some mechanical value. If it's just for draining water
>from damp carpets, that hole is big enough to drain the car as you pass
>through a high-pressure car wash with the top down.

And Phil Ethier Replied:
>I have no particular knowledge of TR6 cars, but that's where you stick the
>jack in the TR4.

Exactly right.  This may be a case of S-T continuing to use TR4 the floor
pan dies throughout the production of the TR6.  But the frame changes
carried out for the TR4A eliminated the frame brackets for this jacking
procedure (thank goodness, can you imagine sitting in the seat cranking a
jack between the legs just to have it pop off of the bracket?) but why
retool just for this reason?

And Alex Cherington added:
>The Stag has 4 such holes in the floor. In my car they
>are covered with a metal plate and rivetted in place.

Which reminds me that the TR7/8 also has these holes with metal inserts
installed with some sort of sealant/adheasive, so perhaps there is indeed
another reason for these holes that is not appearent to those of us not in
the business of building them.  I guess it's a lot like sausage.

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO USA
57 TR3 (I have an original style jack - for show)
71 TR6
80 TR8