Another day, another guy with a Triumph story steven_newellboys -- Pleas

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Another day, another guy with a Triumph story steven_newellboys -- Please report any abuse to abuse@bizland-inc.com
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 11:48:57 -0600
Thursday: the fellow I parked in front of for the Dads and Kids
breakfast at our elementary school said "that's a beauty" as I
unloaded the boys from the TR4. His story: his dad did some
accounting work for Standard-Triumph in New York in the 60's
and he remembered the time his dad brought home a TR4A
for the weekend. He was six, and was extremely jealous when
his older brother got to steer as dad pushed the out-of-gas
Triumph to the gas station.

Friday: a fellow at the grocery store stopped to talk as I tried to
find places for a dozen bags of food and a watermelon. With
the boot already carrying a case of oil, tools and spares, and
the hood. He remembered flying down desert highways in "one
of those" at 115, thirty years ago when he was in his early
twenties. Time or an inaccurate speedo likely colored his
memories.

Saturday: adding a quart while Riley enjoyed a hot Krispy
Kreme donut, a fellow visiting from Wisconsin mentioned he'd
owned a TR2 for two years. Never could get it to run happily
in winter, and the last thing he did was rebuild the rear end
after a test-drive ended with the driver ripping the rear end off
trying a handbrake-assisted 180 on a gravel road. I took the
wife and kids to a corn maze yesterday evening but with the
boys in the car there were no 180's on the gravel road. ;-)

Sunday: haven't left the house yet, but this morning Discovery
Channel ran a show about test pilots which featured a test
pilot school candidate who drove his TR3 to work. Nice BRG
car. Think his name was Daniel Fritz? I never saw a full shot
of the car, but at a glance the interior was unrestored and the
green was shiny.

--
Steven Newell
Littleton, CO