Re: Toyota Trans

To: richard triplett <rtriplett25@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Toyota Trans
From: Bill Pugh <anabil@caltel.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 10:27:29 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Richard,
        No problem, I will keep you, and the list, advised on the
installation. I have promised myself not to start until December,
just hope I can hold out that long.
        I ended up with a 84 Celica Transmission, but there are
several others that are good 1987 Toyota Supra/Cressida, 1982-1986
Supra
non-turbo, 1982-1985 Celica. The key is the condition of the
transmission. You must check the input shaft for play, anything more
than 1/16 of an inch is unacceptable, you must check the condition of
the shift "dog" bearing (this is the thing the shifter fits into) if
it is not smooth or shows signs of wear it is an indication of a high
mileage, hard usage transmission. Put the transmission in neutral,
you should be able to spin the input shaft easily, with no noise. Put
the transmission in each gear, hold the output shaft and try to turn
the input shaft, there should be resistance, release the output shaft
and it should turn smoothly, with no noise, do this for each of the 5
speeds and reverse.
        Of the three transmissions I took down only one passed the
test. The 88 Supra I found had the wrong shift dog, it could have
been changed but it would require a tear down of the transmission. I
was able to find several in  a local wrecking yard for $100 @, but I
did not check them closely enough Mea Culpa, but now that Herman has
educated me I will look for some more.

--
Bill Pugh
1957 TR-3