RE: Speedometer Problem Update

To: "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Speedometer Problem Update
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 10:57:09 -0700
> I want to thank everyone for their help with my problem. I was told by the
> mechanic that my overdrive was from a Volvo and that the speedo
> Driven gear
> is not something I want to change because the transmission has to
> be pulled and taken apart.

There are two gears involved, the driven gear can be changed in situ, the
driving gear requires disassembling the OD.  Chances are you need to change
both of them.

> He told me to get the speedometer recalibrated.
> Is this the cheapest option?

I don't know.  Try contacting MO-MA and ask if they can even do it.
Components will have to be changed, so you need someone who has alternate
springs and gears for a Smiths speedo.

> Some also suggest to get an adapter to solve the problem.
> What to do, what to do. Is it possible that I only need to recalibrate or
> more needs to be done?

The ratio adapter should solve the problem, assuming you don't have a bad
speedo head, cable or angle drive (or busted speedo gears in the OD I
suppose).  Recalibration should do too, if it can be done to the spec you
need.

> ps. If anyone plans to buy an Overdrive from this dude in New
> Zealand...

I've heard the same complaint about other sources of used ODs and even
complete transmissions.  Best to deal with a vendor who stands behind their
parts.

Randall