RE: TR-6 Speedometer for OD Tranny

To: "Patrick Bitton" <pbitton@axess.com>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR-6 Speedometer for OD Tranny
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 00:33:55 -0700
> Someone on Ebay is selling a speedometer that claims it's for OD
> transmissions. I asked him the difference and he told me that "Revolutions
> are different for the OD compared to the non OD. One is 1000 and the other
> is 1120." Is this true?

Nope, it's typical eBay BS.  Earlier TR6 used the 1120 (or other numbers),
later ones all used the 1000 (with the gears in the gearbox/OD changed to
accommodate different drive ratios and whatnot).

> Do I need to replace my speedometer to get a right
> reading? It seems that when I feel that I am going 50km/h, the reading is
> about 30km/h. Has anyone experienced this while doing this conversion?

It's possible your new OD doesn't have the same speedo gears as a stock TR6.
Perhaps it's a unit from a later PI TR6, or one of the other cars that use
the same (almost) OD but different speedometers.

As Mark already pointed out, going from a 1120 calibration to a 1000 will
only increase the speedo reading by about 12% at any particular speed.  This
is a lot less than the difference between 30 kph and 50 kph, so something
else is wrong.

Randall