Differential trouble

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Differential trouble
From: Russ Locke <wtrrtw@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 14:55:33 -0700 (PDT)
Whilst attempting to remove the pinion seal from my TR4, I've
discovered play in the pinion itself, lateral, that is up and down,
vs rotational. With no wish to start THAT thread again, this is the
bad play.  I've also now found a bad noise/feeling when I rotate the
left rear wheel forward (rearward produces no bad noises or
roughness) that I hope is not fatal.  Anyone care to guess what the
problem might be? It is absent on the right side.  I would suspect an
axle problem rather than ring/pinion since it is unique to one side.
Am I correct? I guess it really is moot anyway since the axles have
to come out and then the diff anyway.  I described the feeling as
that of money (going down the proverbial rat-hole.)  I wonder if the
howling transmission was actually the rear end (read that here on the
list some time back.)

And lastly, for now, how does one distinguish the TR4 rear end from a
solid axle TR4A?  The pinion seal in my 4 is quite different from the
replacement unit and I notice a different part number/price for the
TR4A unit.  (There are other 4A parts on this car.)

Russ Locke
San Antonio, TX
'64 TR4 CT36594
http://sbc.yahoo.com