Re: gear-reduction starter. Was: Starter Question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: gear-reduction starter. Was: Starter Question
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 05:00:43 -0700 (PDT)
I'll support Al's testimony with my own.
Shortly after getting my TR6, I replaced the starter with a gear reduction
starter.  (They were more expensive than now.  Jeeze!)

The difference was amazing.
I bet I could drive that car up on to a trailer with the starter motor alone.

Anyway . . .I had some sort of interference or alignment problem, but it was
easy to undo two socket head screws and rotate the motor on its mounting plate.
 There's a circular array of holes that lets you change its mounting rotation
to just about any location within a few degrees.

Apparently I should have put loctite on there or something though.
They came loose sometime in the next few months.  Luckily I caught it before
there was any real damage.

I tightened them up and everything has been hunky dory since then.

It was a daily drive with about 20,000 miles on it one of those two years.
The other year was probably only 15,000 miles or so.

Scott Tilton
1963 TR4 everyday . . . .TR6 is still down.
Leesburg, VA

From: "Alan" <asalvato@tampabay.rr.com>
My car is a daily driver,  with over 20,000 miles in the past year, since
installing the gear reduction starter.with no problem;

<snip>

al salvatore
waiting on new water pump
76tr6  daily