Re: the TR6 you didn't buy

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: the TR6 you didn't buy
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 21:49:26 +0100
On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, at around 16:41:18 local time, Bob Rochlin
<r_rochlin@hotmail.com> wrote:

>    I don't understand how one can buy a car on E-Bay sight unseen.

Nor do I.   I've just (tonight) sold my Saab 9000 on eBay, and not one
of the bidders even asked me any questions about it, let alone came to
look at it (despite my saying "inspection before bidding is STRONGLY
recommended").  I know I was selling it very cheaply, but surely they
must have had some interest in its condition?

>  I know
>that many sellers are honest enthusiasts, but how do you know?

And how can you possibly expect to gain an understanding of a car's true
condition from a short advertisement and a handful of photos, even if
the description is scrupulously honest (as I hope mine was)?

When I bought my Herald Saloon off eBay, I only did so because Bill
Davies was kind enough to inspect the car for me, and provide me with
two pages of incredibly-detailed expert critique before I placed a bid.

In the end, a thousand mile journey is worth it (a) if you get the car
you want, and (b) if you manage to avoid buying a car you didn't want. I
flew up to Glasgow to look at a Herald Convertible, with the firm
intention of flying back home again if it wasn't up to snuff.   As it
turned out, it was a genuine bargain in super condition, and I drove it
500 miles home that evening!

ATB

--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FM105671