Re: TR3 Winter Miscellany

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Winter Miscellany
From: "Don Spence" <dspence@oanet.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 17:10:33 -0600
> Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 07:47:50 -0700
> From: "Bill Brewer" <bbrewer@qnet.com>
> Subject: TR3 Winter Miscellany
>
>      Some miscellaneous regarding TR3s.
>
> 1. I cannot keep a hat on my head at freeway speeds unless a clamp down a
> baseball camp to the point where I don't get enough blood to the brain (a
> useful side effect for the LBC hobby perhaps). I've tried "sports car" hats
> (Kangol and Pendleton) but they fly off. The wind catches them under the
> bill and flips them off. What do others wear?

  Aside from crazy glue... a chin strap or a Tilley hat. Seriously!
(lifetime guarantee, yours not the hat's)  www.tilley.com
> 2. It is dangerous to put chains on a TR3? I have been considering using the
> car year round.
 I don't know about a 3 but my 4A liked to go roundy round on slippery snow
covered streets. Now I just exercise it in winter when the roads are dry
> 3. What is best to wear with the top down on freezing days? I have been
> considering powder pants (from skiing) and a parka, maybe even a ski mask.
> In Tehachapi, we get nice days and subfreezing evenings in the fall. I am
> looking for something to keep in the trunk that I can pull out if work keeps
> me out late.

A TR with roll up windows, a half tonneau and a heater plus gloves, a full
beard and a toque (with a pocket warmer inside). Failing that a snowmobile
suit.
> 4. My car cover ripped itself up in the wind where it was rubbing against
> the top of the windscreen on the Tenax. I am considering putting some sort
> of slideover cover over the top of the windscreen to prevent chafe points.
> It is always windy where I have to part (next to the biggest wind farm in
> the world). Anyone else have this problem and a solution?

Duct tape over the TEnax to cover any sharps. A portable garage? Though that
might not last too long with your wind conditions. You could make up
something with rounded contours like the front of a hardtop that could be
mounted semi-permanently to the top of the windscreen to smooth things out.
If shaped correctly might also direct cold air away from the cockpit as
well.