Triumph 4 speed gearbox with J Type O/D

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Triumph 4 speed gearbox with J Type O/D
From: "Hickey, Terry" <Terry.Hickey@team.telstra.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:30:57 +1000
Hi to all Listers,

I am interested to know what type of oil the list recommends for the J type
O/D gearbox. The reason that I ask is that even though my gearbox is
recently rebuilt, I often get some gear crunch when changing back from 4th
to 3rd. I have been advised that this is a common problem with this gearbox
if the oil being used is too thick or the wrong type. Some people have even
suggested that I should be using automatic transmission fluid instead of
gear oil. What are your views/experiences.

Cheers

Terry
Melbourne, Australia.