Need some Ignition - Coil advise!

To: "INTERNET:Divits@aol.com" <Divits@aol.com>
Subject: Need some Ignition - Coil advise!
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 14:16:52 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:Divits@aol.com
>Here's what's happening. I took the TR250 out last night and everything
was
going great. Then I got on the Highway and really got on it and when I was
in
third the car kinda hiccuped (just once) and went fine there after. Then
when
I got to the end of the Exit ramp at the stop sign she just died! I tried
restart her but it just wouldn't fire...the motor was turning and all but
it
just wouldn't fire. I opened the hood and checked the wires on the coil and

the connections are all nice and clean. I then tried to start the motor
again
and vroom it started right up! Then about 20 minutes later it did it again.
opened the hood wiggled the wires on the coil and it fired right up
again!?!?

What could be the problem...is the coil going bad? If I buy a new coil what

does the list recommend...what's the best coil to go with (I do drive my
car
pretty hard)? Is it time to go to electronic ignition...if so what does the

list recommend?
<

Well, it certainly could be the coil.  I had a coil on my TR3 that had a
loose connector and it would occasionally conk out as a result.  I have
also been left stranded by a dodgy condensor in the distributor.  These
things can fail suddenly and when they do they leave you with no
transportation.  I suppose one could become intermittant but it is not too
likely.

Another possibility is the wire itself.  The strands inside the insulation
can break but you'll not notice because the isulation is still intact.

Except for the condensor, fitting an electronic ignition system will not
cure the problem.

These are a few things to check.  I'm sure there are others.  I suggest you
start by substituting the parts that are cheap and easy to reach.  Cheap
means if you already have a spare something, put it on.  Condensors and
wires are cheaper than coils which are cheaper than distributors and
engines.  Just swap and see.

Good luck

Dave