Warneford filters

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Warneford filters
From: GrubbLaw@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 11:32:15 EDT
Cc: january@chemeketa.edu
January:

    Finally I found someone else with the same filter problem.  My b62 TR4
came to me with Warneford filter housing and some misshapen piece of filter
squashed in between.  It also came with Cibe non-sealed beam headlights with
a sticker inside the housing that said not for road use.  The seller was from
upstate New York and I suspect that the car may have originally been north of
the border.

    I have searched manufactures catalogues for a match to fit the Warneford
dimensions but have not been successful.  So I bought the closest thing, an
AC Delco A220C, and modified to fit my needs.  It has an expanded metal
grillwork over a pleated paper filter.  I donbt know the original
application
for the filter.  Advance Auto Parts didnbt have them in stock, but they had
them the next day for about $5.00 each.

    Modification is not that difficult, just tedious and time consuming.  On
the one end I trimmed the rubber seal flush with the circumference using a
very sharp knife.  Trim the little nibs off the bottom of that end to make
the seal flush.  Check the fit into the filter housing; it will be snug.

    The other end is a real pain; it has to be removed.  First I took a very
small pair of side cutters and carefully cut each one of those outside little
mesh wires flush with the end of the rubber seal.  After  cutting the entire
way around, I cut the filter paper from the seal with a sharp knife.

     Straighten out any bent wire ends and put that end into the housing
cover, then fit the outer cover with filter assembled onto the carb housing
side.  I found this method of assembly easier, and it tends to hide any
cutting mistakes.

    Mine have been on the car for three years and I like the look.  They need
to be replaced and I hope that someone else has a better solution to this
problem.

    If anybody has a better idea, please let me know.

Regards,

Bill Grubb    digest mode
'62 TR4 (Mimosa yellow)
Harrisburg, PA