TR6 Gearbox Question

To: Jon & Susan <jsmessier@mail.earthlink.net>
Subject: TR6 Gearbox Question
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:03:19 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Jon & Susan
>I've got a question regarding the Gearbox # on my early 1974 TR6.
>
>Mine appears like this: CC9v983513. If you look closely, the "v", the "8"
>and the last "3" are smaller (much smaller) than the rest of the numbers.
>Is that normal? Do I have a freak or special gearbox?
>
>Any help shedding some light on why it is this way would be great.

I don't know but I would suspect that someone at the factory lost or broke
his "v","8" and "3" letter stamps and got replacements from another set
which happens to be a different size.  Remember, these stampings are not
decorative, they are for informational purposes only.

>Also, I am sure that this is been discussed before, but I want to ask
>anyway: when did the bumper overrides start for the TR6? Was it in the
>middle of the year or did it happen for ALL 1974 cars?

Right from the beginning of the model year.  My 74 TR6 had them and it had
the turn signal lights above the bumper.  It also had the well regarded
seat belt - starter interlock - but that's another story.

Cheers

Dave