Hmm I learned a lesson today

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hmm I learned a lesson today
From: David Templeton <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:59:02 -0400
Hi all,

I want to pass on something I learned today.  Since I have had the Spitfire
I have trusted the tach to be correct, or at least somewhat correct. I
hooked an electronic tach up to verify readings and was surprised. The
indash tach always reads 1000 to 1200rpm with a bouncing needle.  I also
tried to lower the rpm to 850 but would stall.

When I hooked up the electric tach, it turns out that I was actually idling
at 600rpm!!  No wonder trying to lower would stall :-P Thinking that the
tach was wrong I verified it against another tach on the Mustang (yes the
little switch was set correctly :-) )

So, it looks like I will resetting the idle this weekend and not feeling
like I have her stalling all the time. Nice smooth idle though at 600!

Lesson learned double check the mechanical tach with a verified electronic
one to set idle speed.

Regards
David A. Templeton
'74 Spitfire