Calling BTDT's

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Calling BTDT's
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 13:42:32 +0100
Hi, guys
Contortion time, excess language and tantalising access beckons this
weekend.
'Flossie' (the '74 2000) has thrown all the toys out of her pram
concerning her starter motor. Probably like most later TR's it's a
pre-engaged type. We undertook a long journey about two weeks back for
a long weekend  and the day after arriving, it was "No, you can turn
the key for as long as you want and I'm going to sit here whirring.
Turn my flywheel as much as you like and I'll still whirr. And if you
think you'll be a smartass and turn my pinion shaft, you can't - but
I'll oblige with a tow start."
Bearing in mind you can clearly see the starter on a 2000 from above
and below, though getting at it in anger is something entirely
different, I'm wondering whether a new unit is the only option? The
problem seems to be starting a cold engine as the starter (when it
does actually crank as it should) sounds distinctly tired for a brief
crank - and then it reverts to whirring.. The battery is fine  and I
don't think the ring gear is damaged or loose. The same may not apply
to the pinion.
After the toys and pram nonsense with an eventual tow, I called in to
see a friend for a few hours on the way home and delayed leaving his
home until the pub next door was open - just in case we needed pushers
to assist. 'Flossie' (possibly ashamed by such indignities) obliged
instantly with a running engine. As we can't always (sadly) contrive
to park near a pub and coincide our departures with pub opening times,
it occurred to me to consult the BTDT's beforehand. Thoughts on likely
faults, possible remedies - or bullet bite and fit a new unit?
Suppose I could realise 'Flossie's' asset value and spend
the proceeds in any pub - but doesn't currently appeal.

Jonmac