RE: Oil leak

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Oil leak
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 16:58:37 -0700
> I'm really baffled.  I have a persistant oil leak.  And
> sometimes, it is in
> quarts.  I've checked the plugs in the oil gallery, and they are
> fine.  I'm
> sure that it isn't the gasket between the oil filter housing to
> the block -
> no signs of "blow-by".  All the oil seems to be coming from the
> top of the
> full-flow filter canister.

David, one thing to watch for here, it's not uncommon to find cars that have
two sealing rings stuffed in that groove.  I'd suggest removing the one
you've put in, and then cleaning the slot until you can see for certain that
the bottom of the slot is smooth shiny aluminum.

Also, there are several places on the filter head itself that could be
leaking.

>   Later got on-line at Moss and learned that you are only
> supposed to torque
> these canisters to about 15 ft-lbs.

The only factory comment I know of is "Do not tighten the bolt more than is
necessary to obtain an oil-tight seal" (owner's manual 1st Ed pg 14, or
Bentley pg 24).

> Wonder if I ran out of thread on the bolt before I got the
> canister sealed
> to the ring?

Easy way to test : remove the sealing ring and install the canister.  If the
bolt comes snug but the canister is still loose, the bolt is bottoming or
binding.

>  (I'm tempted to cut about 1/4" off that long bolt anyway,
> because it takes a long, long time to get this canister off and on.  That
> bolt seems excessively long.)

It always seemed pretty long to me too, but I don't believe mine was near
bottoming (before I converted to spin-on).  Is it possible someone has
swapped your canister for one from an early engine ?  AFAIK the canister
itself was the same, but the bolt was definitely longer.

Randall