engine break-in (LONG)

To: "Triumphs" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: engine break-in (LONG)
From: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 15:14:56 -0400
Cc: "spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Today I visited a engine rebuilding shop and the owner gave me his instruction
sheet for breaking in a newly rebuilt engine, some neat points and I will post
this using his exact writing instruction sheet.

Adjust lifters, carburators and timing as close as possible before starting
Remove the coil wire and build oil pressure before starting the engine
Start engine and observe oil pressure gauge and set engine speed for 25mph
until normal operating temp is attained, observe oil pressure & engine temp
and run engine at this speed for several minutes, shut engine down and
retorque cyclinder head & manifolds
Recheck carb adjustment, valve adjustment & timing (Valve seating may cause
valves to tighten)
Repeat starting procedure as above (build oil pressure first)
After starting motor make a test run at 30 MPH and accelerate rapidly to 50mph
doing this at least 10 times. If traffic conditions do not permit this
procedure, accelerate the engine rapidly several times through the
intermediate gears during the check run
In town driving is ideal for breaking in new motors. The first 0-100 miles
should be accomplished with short burst of speed, the object is to apply a
load to the engine for a short period of time and in rapid succession, soon
after engine warm up. This action thrusts the piston rings against the
cyclinder walls with increased pressure and accelerated ring seating, during
the engines first 0/100 miles the engine should not be allowed to "coast"
continually (such as flat highway driving), more importantly DO-NOT allow the
engine to lug or overload for the first 500 miles. Towing or driving in
mountainous terrain is a terrbile way to break-in a new motor. Your motor
should never be allowed to "pink" from carrying a load, "Especially before it
is completely broken in".
Most engines break-in between 500 to 1000 miles, readjustments may be required
at that time to the carbs, ignition and valves, and manifolds.

I thought this was very interesting especially the short bursts of speed and
in-town driving, he says oil pressure and normal temp are a must for good
engine break-in and the total life of the engine.  "FT"