Replacement Steel Wheels for TR6

To: csillman@sherbtel.net
Subject: Replacement Steel Wheels for TR6
From: jay_welch@juno.com
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:17:31 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
My recommendation would be to only use the modern type tire machines if
possible.  A friend of mine has a Coats 10-10 with the rotating arm in
his garage.  It's free so I use it.  I'm thinking that a lot of rims have
been damaged taking off those nasty, hard Michelin redlines with the old
tire machine technology.  Those old Michelin redlines have a really tough
bead area.  I started using a Sawzall to cut across the tread and as
close to the rim as possible.  I then mount the tire on the machine and
pop up and expose the remaining bead area with the arm and finish the cut
with the saw.   Of course you can't do this if you want to save the tire
but if the tire is junk it won't matter.  Just be careful because it
doesn't take much to distort the rims.

Good luck,
Jay Welch, Abington MA (digest mode)
Secretary, "Cape Cod British Car Club"
http://clubs.hemmings.com/capecodbritish/
1973 TR6 driver, 1971 TR6 project
1989 Mustang GT someday morphing into a Factory Five '65 Roadster

>> I suspect the most likely cause was from a tire shop when new tires
were installed.