RE: TR3A charging woes

To: <Popnglo@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A charging woes
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 21:36:30 -0700
> Well ... not all that bad, but bad enough, and my multi meter is
> on the fritz
> too.

Have I mentioned HF sells a $10 DVM ?  <g>

> The
> gennie seems to be putting out 19 V but the battery seems to only
> receive 12 V or so.

At what points did you measure the 19v ?  If you can see 19v between the D
and E terminals on the control box, but only 12v or so between A or A1 and
E, then the box is clearly bad. (The voltage between A and A1 should always
be below 0.2 volts, usually 0.0.)

> Any suggestions?

I likewise suspect the control box (both of them).  This is the only single
failure I can think of that would cause the symptoms you describe.

If you're so inclined, it might be worth poking about inside the control box
to see if the problem can be solved.  Check that the cutout contacts close
when you rev the engine to 2K or so.  Once they're closed, check the voltage
directly across them.  If it's less than the voltage between the D and A1
terminals, there may be a bad connection inside the control box that could
be fixed by soldering in a wire.

Randall