TR3A charging woes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A charging woes
From: Popnglo@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 23:55:44 EDT
Well ... not all that bad, but bad enough, and my multi meter is on the fritz
too.

After a rather long 300 mile ride, through some pretty horrendous 90+ degree
traffic this past weekend, temp nearing the hot end (~200) my charge
indicator dimly lights at all speeds. <coincidence?>. Didn't notice it until
driving last night. This is with a <2 month new control box and gennie. The
gennie seems to be putting out 19 V but the battery seems to only receive 12
V or so. Not wanting to mess with the 2 month old box (so I can return it-I
heard MOSS won't take it back if adjusted) I swapped the old one in. Same
result, through all RPM, though ~2K the light goes out, but then on as the
RPM's get higher. Very erratic. Diddled with the cut out and V regulator
adjustments with this old one, without any change. All wiring seems in order.
I suspect the control box (both of them). The battery is rather new, and
seems to hold about 12.5 V static. From the last I checked and remember I
should be getting around 13.5 V before cut out, but it's just not there. Any
suggestions? Not looking forward to push start in this heat.

Ed (58 TR3A)