Re: Authenticity questions

To: <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Subject: Re: Authenticity questions
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:11:23 +0100
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jack Drews wrote:
Could somebody refresh my memory regarding the year in which Standard
Triumph was gobbled up by British Leyland?

Jack. Digests seem a bit slow coming through at the moment It's
perhaps more info than you requested but won't harm by being repeated.

Standard-Triumph was bought by Leyland Motors in 1961. Price paid was
GBP20 million (US$48 million) at exchange rates of the time. This was
claimed by Alick Dick, Standard's CEO, to be rather more than the
company was worth! Not a bad deal considering no-one else in the
States or Europe wanted to buy it at any price.

Prior to 1968 when Rover had joined the fold, the combine was known as
The Leyland Motor Corporation.

The Standard name was finally abandoned in 1963 when the last Vanguard
Ensign was made.

Separately and prior to BL, the British Motor Corporation became
British Motor Holdings (BMH) in 1966 when BMC bought Jaguar.

British Leyland came about in 1968 and was forced into existence by
the British government who was determined to see it happen as a vote
saving exercise. With the exception of saving Jaguar and MG within
BMH, there was a widely held opinion the rest of BMH (Austin, Morris,
Riley and Wolseley) could have been safely allowed to have gone to the
wall - a view still widely held in the industry today.

Secondly, I have an AM radio that was in a 9164. It says "British
Motor
Company" on the front. I wonder for what cars it would be correct?

If it meets the 'old' dimensions which I now forget (wider and
shallower than current sets) it would probably fit any LBC, though I
suppose the originality protagonists would argue it should only be
found in a BMC/BMH badged vehicle. Hope this helps.

Jonmac
1950 Ferguson TED20 152318 - Grey/Grey
1970 Triumph 2.5PI MG4305DL(O) - Sienna/Tan
1974 Triumph 2000 ML2294DLO - Mallard/Black