Re: TR4A springs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4A springs
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 14:42:47 -0700 (PDT)
> Darrell, I noticed something interesting last night, the original TR4A front
> springs (which took a spacer) were superceded by the factory to the ones
> used by the TR5/250, which did not take the spacer.  TRF lists only the
> TR5/250(/6) springs.

I went through this whole exercise almost 10 years ago during the
first front end rebuild on my 4A. I talked to Moss, to TRF, looked
at the factory manual, all the available catalogs from US and
UK vendors, my existing springs, some other springs and finally decided...

... that if anyone ever knew what the specs for the 4A were, they've
been lost to history. None of the vendors were selling the "right"
spring then. I don't expect that this has changed. Fitting TR250/TR6
springs, or even the "mild competition" springs from TRF, will
almost certainly leave you unhappy with the results, as it has
left many others on this list.

There *is* a solution. Call British Parts Northwest, and
get *their* mildly stiffened springs. Mine are red, and they
knew them as the "red springs", but I've been told that they
color has been changed, but they know what you mean if you
call and ask. These springs are about 20% stiffer than stock
and leave you with a very close approximation to stock
ride height. Get a set of urethane spring "packing pieces"
to go with. (And consider getting their urethane bushings if
you haven't already spent money on stock rubber - or even if you
have, get them now so you'll have them when you have to replace
the rubber bushings in two to three years.)

The combination of these springs front and rear, Apple Hydraulic
"heavy duty" lever shocks in the rear, Konis full soft in the
front, and a stock TR6 sway bar (mounted to a TR6 lower radiator
shroud because I'm lazy and wanted an oil cooler) make for
a very sweet handling package for a "fast road" TR4A.

chris